Being already 20 years old and almost approaching adulthood, I'm beginning to think more like an adult (or am I). That sometimes I feel like I'm over-controlling or restricting things.
I have been reflecting what I did for the day but last night was actually the longest and most-disturbing. This has to with drinking. Not the normal drinking water type but involving alcohol.
A group of friends (including me) were at the riverfront cafe. So basically they wanted to order to drink. Afterall, it's shared with three more other people. Then I received a text message from X telling me to stop Z from drinking. X said because of me Z is drinking. So withouting hesitation, I just took the bottle and threw the content away. I left after having to drink an ice-blended kiwi juice. The reason why I decided to do it was due to an extremely embarassing event that just happenned before that. Those who are reading this content, you know what was going on.
On my way home until I reached my room, I was deep in thoughts. Infact, after sitting down quietly reflecting, I just realised so many things which I felt how stupid I was back then:
(1) Why would X message me to tell Z to stop drinking when X should have told Z straight in the face or quietly in the first place? So in other words, I'm like being labelled as the bad person.
(2) Why must I be the so-called dominant person in the whole thing? Just because I'm 20 doesn't mean I can decide what they should drink.
(3) I realised I was beginning to be to naggy just because I have already reached 20. Hence it's the all "trying to be the responsible one in the group" that I was trying to live up.
Since I got very confused and everything happenned so quickly, I just felt that I needed a second opinion. So I asked my mum at first. And later I asked Harvey. When I got the feedback from them on drinking alone and how you can just avoid your friends from drinking, both of them told me the exact same thing:
"Drinking is good for health. But NOT alcohol abuse."
People always misunderstand about the term drinking. You remember that our teachers say drinking is bad because you'll be drunk and this and that etc. Drinking is a natural thing for those who are in the business line or in the wine tasting industry. However to over drink till you are in a cranky, drunked state, now that's bad! If everyone is going to be like me, the wine industry is going to loose its business!
I did talk to Harvey a few hours ago regarding this matter. I told him I over-reacted and yes he did agree with me after I explained the whole situation. I can't play the role of God to tell them to drink or not to drink. Important thing is that they know their limit and if you want to tell a person off that he or she is drinking too much, just tell him or her off in the face. I don't want to be the bad person or the middle one. In my opinion, if that person is in control of his or her drinking why stop him or her?
You choose your action but you can't choose your consequences. I remember writing this sentence in one of my posts. Anyway I'm just writing this because it was really bugging me for the past few hours. Now I have already gotten my second opinion on this matter, I'm convinced that whatever people want to do we just have to respect their choice. Of course, if they're completely unconcious or drinking too much, you'd better stop them!
Take care and good night.
P/S: Harvey, if you're reading this post, thanks a lot for the opinion. I got a new quote now for this: Drink at your OWN risk!
No comments:
Post a Comment